Here is a Rare and Hard to Find Gerber Mark II Orange Handled Knife. These knives were made in limited quantities during 1972. Knives with the optional steel and steel pouch were even more uncommon as this was an upgrade.
Pictured is a 1971 GERBER MARK II ( ORANGE HANDLED ) KNIFE – SERIAL # 022208 Knife appears to have been carried and the edge passed along the steel as there are some light scratches on the knife, however the blade is full and retains it original edge. Blade also exhibits a very few carbon spots. Serial and Gerber Logo are nicely struck and crisp.
- Blade is full and not canted which is correct for this period of time. A few very small carbon spots but no pitting.
- Orange Handle - a few small scratched and one small chip near the pommel but overall excellent condition
- Black hilt - Light paint wear at high points
- Pommel – slight paint wear at the high points of the pommel edge
- Sheath is correct for a 1972– Comes with proper Gerber marked Steel. Sheath is in excellent + condition with all tight stitching and no stains or damage. GI belt hanger shows some slight graying in the bluing.
- OVERALL RATING – I would rate this knife and sheath as Excellent + condition as noted the blade does show some signs of the steel being used but no stone sharpening marks. Handle and hilt have a few spots as noted keeping it from being MINT. Definitely a Collector Grade Quality as trying to find these in any condition becomes a challenge, especially with the Gerber Steel
- NOTE: Gerber Orange Handled Mark II’s were only made for a very short period of time are getting extremely hard to find as most were used or not taken care of. Here is an opportunity to obtain a real nice vintage Gerber Mark II. In addition many of these are leaving the country probably never to return as overseas customers are realizing the value and appreciation of these knives.